2021 District 9 Training – Conroe, TX (Montgomery County)
Letter provides details for lodging options, tentative agenda and items to bring and registration costs.
D-9 Shooting Sports Coach Training 2021_Montgomery
October 13th – October 31st
Please read letter at the link above for registration information and additional details
Contact Cory Hundl @ Cory.email@example.com regarding issues with registering and copy your county extension agent.
Registration will be conducted through 4-H Online
Must be a screened and approved volunteer to register.
Date & Time:
November 13-14, 2021
*Archery, Shotgun, Pistol and Rifle – November 13th only
**Hunting and Wildlife will be on the 13th and the 14th
Check-in begins at 7:00 am on Saturday with discipline training starting at 8:00 am.
End Time will vary per discipline – see letter at link above
Saturday lunch and dinner provided & Snacks
Montgomery County Extension Office
Tom Leroy Education Center
9020 Airport Rd.
Conroe, TX 77303
Cost: $100.00 for day training
*Additional $20.00 charge to complete the Green Injection Component (Online Only option)
Information about Certified Shooting Sports Coaches
- 4-H Shooting Sports Coach Certifications offered include: 4-H Certified Coach and Assistant Coach.
- A 4-H Certified Coach must be currently enrolled as a 4-H volunteer and have an updated YPS background check on 4-H Connect. Annual enrollment is required to maintain certification.
- A 4-H Certified Coach must be 4-H certified in the specific discipline (shotgun, rifle, pistol, archery, muzzleloading, hunting & wildlife) in which a shooting sports project is being conducted. A 4-H Certified Coach may be trained and certified in multiple disciplines.
- Only one discipline certification (archery, pistol, rifle, shotgun) is obtainable per participant per regular training.
- Separate specific trainings are offered for the hunting & wildlife and muzzleloading disciplines.
- Trainings occur around the state in various locations and throughout the year.
- Certification is only acquired at this time through a 4-H Shooting Sports Coach Training run either by the Texas 4-H Natural Resources Program Office or one of the 12 District Extension Offices.
- Trainings are 12 hours long or longer and typically run through a weekend.
- Equivalent certifications through other entities (NRA, USA Shooting, USA Archery, etc.) are not allowed to replace 4-H Coach Training at this time.
- 4-H Coach Certification is transferable across the state.
- 4-H Coach Certification is transferable from other states with the approval of the Texas 4-H Shooting Sports Coordinator.
- All Coach Candidates will be required to bring a signed copy of the Waiver Indemnification and Medical Treatment Authorization Form to the training. Original signatures only, please. No copies.
- A volunteer must be 21 years of age or older to be a 4-H Certified Coach.
Assistant Coach Certification
- Assistant Coach Certification is offered to those 14-20 years of age who attend 4-H Shooting Sports Coach Training. This certification changes to a 4-H Certified Coach certification on the date of the holder’s 21st birthday. A replacement certificate may be requested by contacting the Texas 4-H Natural Resources Program Office.
- Youth Assistant Coaches must bring a copy of the Youth Assistant Coach Acknowledgement Form signed by both the youth and his/her parent or guardian. Original signatures only, please. No copies.
Presence of a 4-H Certified Coach
- A 4-H Certified Coach must be present at the time of any shooting practice and must remain on the range within control of the shooting practice. Non-certified volunteers may assist at the coach’s discretion but cannot act without the certified coach present and in control. Assistant coaches are also able to assist the coach but also cannot act without the certified coach present and in control.
- Any 4-H Shooting Sports project must have at least one 4-H trained and certified coach in each of the disciplines (shotgun, rifle, pistol, archery, muzzleloading, hunting & wildlife) offered within that local project. This includes home based projects.
4-H Certified Coach at a Shooting Event
- 4-H Certified Coaches are not required or obligated to attend competitive events involving their discipline or local 4-H membership. Attendance at these events and chaperoning 4-Hers at these events is on a volunteer basis only.
- There is no re-certification requirement for a 4-H Certified Coach. If a coach has been inactive for a period of several years, a county may require attendance to additional training.