Date: April 26, 2013
Location: Alvin Community College
3110 Mustang Rd
Alvin, TX 77511
Entry/Registration Deadline: April 7, 2013
Entry Fee: $15 per individual
The Research Poster Contest is designed to help youth identify a question or problem, then focus learning and solving the problem using scientific method. The research poster contest will afford youth the opportunity to showcase their accomplishments. Judging will be based on the interest and understanding of the research layout which should include a good combination of text, graphics, and photos. Topics can cover any field as long as it it research oriented, and may include humanities or social sciences that meet the research criteria. The county agent will document and certify all projects.
- To initiate a program based on science and scientific method
- To increase the awareness of science, engineering and technology among 4-H members
- To implement science, engineering, and technology in the forefront of 4-H project work through the use of 4-H S.E.T. Abilities:
- SCIENCE abilities encompass the entirety of the cause and effect on the world on the world
- ENGINEERING is recognized as a problem-solving and design process within science and technology
- TECHNOLOGY is human innovation
- To allow youth to apply subject matter they have learned through various projects and programs
- Teams of 2 (of same age division) or individuals may participate
- Poster dimensions: No larger than 36″ high by 72″ wide (unfolded).
- Posters must stand upright on a table once unfolded.
- The poster should include an abstract, introduction, methodology, results and/or conclusions.
- Items not adhered to poster must fit on the table top within the dimension of the unfolded poster. Nothing may be hung from the top of the poster (lights, banner, shelf, etc.) that will be outside of the above mentioned poster dimensions.
Friday, April 26, 2013
12:00 Noon– 1:30 PM Check in Contestants and Judges
1:30 – 2:00 PM Contestant Orientation
2:00 -3:30 PM Judges Interviews
4:00 PM Tabulation
7:00 PM Awards Program in Gym
District 9 4-H Scientific Research Poster Contest Committee:
Sheryl Nolen – Co Chair, Harris County
Starla Garlick – Co Chair, Jefferson County
Ricky Mahaley, Harris County
Marcus Glenn, Harris County
2013 D9 4-H SET Judging Schedule